Read. Seen. Heard. Bits of wisdom.

KDD

Re: Read. Seen. Heard. Bits of wisdom.

Bericht door KDD »

William Gadsby schreef:
You and I stand on the verge of an eternal world, and unless God Himself say to the soul, “I am thy salvation,” we must eternally perish. The great body of professors of religion are quite satisfied in talking about or hearing of a salvation. They tell us what great salvation God has accomplished for us, if we will but close in with it, if we will but do our part; and other professors please themselves with talking about the discriminating doctrines of the gospel, and more or less ridicule the inward teachings and workings of God the Spirit in the soul, and the feelings of the poor sinner under them. But whenever the LORD the Spirit circumcises the heart of a sinner by the knife of the law, he lays his heart open, and lets the contents of the heart begin to ooze up with abominable filth, guilt, and horrors. Nothing will then do for the soul short of the LORD speaking, and saying to such a soul, “I am thy salvation.”
Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

Last night I took a journey to a land across the seas.
I didn’t go by ship or plane, I traveled on my knees.
I saw so many people there in bondage to their sin,
And Jesus told me I should go, that there were souls to win.

But I said “Jesus, I can’t go to lands across the seas.”
He answered quickly, “Yes you can, by traveling on your knees.”
He said, “You pray; I’ll meet the need. You call and I will hear.
It’s up to you to be concerned for lost souls far and near.”
And so I did; I knelt in prayer, gave up some hours of ease.
And with the Savior by my side, I traveled on my knees.
As I prayed on, I saw souls saved and twisted persons healed.
I saw God’s workers strength renewed while laboring in the field.
I said, “Yes, Lord, I’ll take the job. Your heart I want to please.
I’ll heed your call and swiftly go by traveling on my knees.”
Canada

Bericht door Canada »

The Happy Man
Lochlan Mackenzie

The happy man was born in the city of Regeneration in the parish of Repentance unto Life. He was
educated at the school of Obedience. He has a large estate in the county of Christian Contentment, and
many times does jobs of Self-denial. He wears the garment of Humility, and has another suit to put on
when he goes to Court, called the Robe of Christ's Righteousness. He often walks in the valley of Self-
Abasement, and sometimes climbs the mountains of Heavenly-mindedness. He breakfasts every
morning on Spiritual Prayer, and sups every evening on the same. He has meat to eat that the world
knows not of, and his drink is the sincere milk of the Word of God. Thus happy he lives, and happy he
dies. Happy is he who has Gospel submission in his will, due order in his affections, sound peace in his
conscience, real Divinity in his breast, the Redeemer's yoke on his neck, a vain world under his feet, and
a crown of glory over his head. Happy is the life of that man who believes firmly, prays fervently, walks
patiently, works abundantly, lives holy, dies daily, watches his heart, guides his senses, redeems his
time, loves Christ, and longs for glory. He is necessitated to take the world on his way to heaven, but he
walks through it as fast as he can, and all his business by the way is to make himself and others happy.
Take him all in all, in two words, he is a Man and a Christian.
Canada

Bericht door Canada »

The Christian’s Firm Bank

I have a never-failing bank,
A more than golden store.
No earthly bank is half so rich;
How can I then be poor?

Tis when my stock is spent and gone,
And I without a groat,
I’m glad to hasten to my bank,
And beg a little note.

Sometimes my Banker, smiling, says,
“Why don’t you oftener come?
And when you draw a little note,
Why not a larger sum?

Why live so niggardly and poor?
Your bank contains plenty.
Why come and take a one-pound note,
When you might have twenty?

“Yes, twenty thousand, ten times told,
Is but a trifling sum
To what your Father has laid up,
Secure in God, His Son.”

Since then my Banker is so rich,
I have no cause to borrow;
I’ll live upon my cash today
And draw again tomorrow.

I’ve been a thousand times before
And never was rejected;
Sometimes my Banker gives me more
Than asked for or expected!

Sometimes I’ve felt a little proud
I’ve managed things so clever;
But ah, before the day was gone,
I’ve felt as poor as ever.

Sometimes, with blushes in my face,
Just at the door I stand;
I know if Moses kept me back,
I surely must be damned.

I know my bank will never break.
No, it can never fail;
The firm – three persons in one God,
Jehovah, Lord of all!

Should all the banks in Britain break,
The Bank of England smash,
Bring in your notes to Sion’s bank,
You’ll surely have your cash;

And if you have but one small note,
Fear not to bring it in;
Come boldly to this throne of grace;
The Banker is within.

All forged notes will be refused,
Man-merits are rejected;
There’s not a single note will pass
That God has not accepted.

’Tis only those beloved of God,
Redeemed by precious blood,
That ever had a note to bring –
These are the gift of God.

Though thousand ransomed souls may say
They have no notes at all,
Because they feel the plague of sin,
So ruined by the fall;

This bank is full of precious notes,
All signed and sealed and free;
Though many doubting souls may say,
“There is not one for me”.

Base unbelief will lead the child
To say what is not true;
I tell the soul that feels self-lost:
“These notes belong to you”.

The leper had a little note:
“Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst!”
The Banker cashed his little note
And healed the sickly man.

We read of one young man, indeed,
Whose riches did abound;
But in the Banker’s book of grace
This man was never found.

But see the wretched dying thief
Hang by the Banker’s side;
He cried, “Dear Lord, remember me”.
He got his cash and died.
J.C. Philpot

Bericht door J.C. Philpot »

Canada schreef: 19 okt 2023, 15:53 The Christian’s Firm
A particularly striking poem.
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
helma

Bericht door helma »

The Advent season is a season of waiting, but our whole life is an Advent season, that is, a season of waiting for the last Advent, for the time when there will be a new heaven and a new earth.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas
helma

Bericht door helma »

"I personally do not understand why there wouldn’t be more attempts like this. “And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.” (Genesis 13:8)"
Steven Lee. Sermon Audio.
helma

Bericht door helma »

The Infinite Love Of Christ
By Octavius Winslow (1808 – 1878)

"…The Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).

Is Jesus precious to your heart? Is He the object of your supreme admiration and delight? Does He have your warmest affection? Do you love Jesus?

You must light your torch of affection for Christ at the altar of Calvary. You must go there, and learn and believe what the love of Jesus is to you: the vastness of that love; the self-sacrifice of that love; how that love of Christ labored and wept, bled, suffered, and died for you!

Can you stand before this love, this love so precious, so great, so enduring, so self-consuming, so changeless, and know that for you was this offering, for you this Cross, for you this agony, for you this scorn and insult, for you this death – and feel no sensibility, no emotion, no love to Jesus? Impossible!

Do not be cast down, then, in vain regrets that your love to Christ is so frigid, so fickle, so dubious. Go and muse upon the reality and the greatness of the Savior’s love to you – and if love can inspire love, while you muse, the fire will burn, and your soul shall be all in flame with love to Jesus! ~ Octavius Winslow

helma

Bericht door helma »

Uit mijn dagboek vandaag.Afbeelding
helma

Bericht door helma »

William Bridge: "If you lay yourself at Christ's feet He will take you into His arms."
J.C. Philpot

Bericht door J.C. Philpot »

helma schreef: 15 jan 2024, 23:38 Uit mijn dagboek vandaag.Afbeelding
Hoe heet het dagboek waar dit uit komt?
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
helma

Bericht door helma »

Ik kreeg het van een vriendin met mijn laatste bezoek aan Canada.
https://heritagebooks.org/products/draw ... erman.html

Are you anxious because of the uncertainties of this world?
You are not alone. Thankfully, the Keldermans have collected a year’s worth of devotions from spiritual leaders of the past that will help you find a sure path in uncertain times. Common themes woven throughout this book include exhibiting repentance and humility before God, using time well, having godly relationships, understanding the value of your soul, living for God’s honor and glory, and persevering through suffering. Let the words of these godly men who have trodden the path before you be used as a cordial to draw you closer to the heart of God.
Authors include Theodore Cuyler, J. C. Ryle, William S. Plumer, Octavius Winslow, Jeremiah Burroughs, Thomas Reade, Thomas Watson, Ashton Oxenden, Jonathan Edwards, John Newton, Horatius Bonar, and William Bridge.

366 days of Scripture verses and brief devotional meditations that provide timeless truths, encouragement, and wisdom for your daily walk with God
Updated language makes meditations accessible to modern readers
Each devotion concludes with thoughts to ponderAfbeelding
helma

Bericht door helma »

LKeith & Kristyn Getty

Dear refuge of my weary soul
On Thee when sorrows rise
On Thee when waves of trouble roll
My fainting hope relies
To Thee I tell each rising grief
For Thou alone canst heal
Thy word can bring a sweet relief
For every pain I feel

But O when gloomy doubts prevail
I fear to call Thee mine
The springs of comfort seem to fail
And all my hopes decline
Yet gracious God, where shall I flee?
Thou art my only trust
And still my soul would cleave to Thee
Though prostrate in the dust

Hast Thou not bid me seek Thy face
And shall I seek in vain?
And can the ear of sovereign grace
Be deaf when I complain?
No, still the ear of sovereign grace
Attends the mourner's prayer
O may I ever find access
To breathe my sorrows there

Thy mercy seat is open still
Here let my soul retreat
With humble hope attend Thy will
And wait beneath Thy feet
KDD

Bericht door KDD »

Rev. J.C. Weststrate schreef: Why Is There Weeping?

“And it came to pass, when the angel of the LORD spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept. And they called the name of that place Bochim: and they sacrificed there unto the LORD” (Judges 2:4&5).

Then the people of Israel lifted up their voice and wept. Also in our days there is weeping and crying. How often do we not see this depicted with pictures in the daily newspapers. First, it may be a child who, because of an accident, a disaster, or a bombing, has lost its parents. Then again, it may be of parents who saw their children taken away by death, sometimes in a terrible or a devastating manner. We can read of it in the obituaries provided by the sorrowing families. That is only a small inkling of all of the grief which brings people to tears. This is only the grief of which we are made aware. In the end there is much more weeping that is unknown to us.
You also probably know of sorrow and tears, for we are included in this world’s vale of tears. Perhaps our weeping is in a hidden place. Know that the Almighty One, from whom nothing is hidden, knows of and sees our difficulties. Whether we are young or old, we do not have to ask each other if we sometimes cry, but no matter how we try to hide it from our fellow man, there is One who sees all our difficulties and our grief.
Yet, there can be different reasons why we weep. The reason why the people of Israel wept is demonstrated in our text. The angel of the Lord had made manifest their disobedience against God. The results of this disobedience had brought about much of the difficulty and sorrow in their lives. In going against God’s commandment, they had united themselves to the inhabitants of the land, namely, the Canaanites. They had departed from the Lord who had so richly blessed them. He had led them through the wilderness and brought them into the promised land, flowing with milk and honey. He who departs from God should fear that trouble upon trouble will be his portion. Each one of us is guilty of such a departure from God, for we are transgressors of God’s law and disobedient unto Him. This disobedience began in the very beginning, in Paradise, in our deep fall in Adam.
Why were the sins and guilt of the people of Israel made manifest to them? The Lord wanted them to return unto Him in a way of conversion and reformation so that they would acknowledge their guilt with repentance and contrition. Just like the Angel pointed to the sin and guilt of the people of Israel, so God’s Word also points to our sin, our guilt, and our disobedience. Even today, the Lord wishes to have sinners return unto Him with repentance and true confession of sin. The results of sin are mourned because we have been disobedient to the Lord. Do we also know the root cause why this comes upon us? Do you know yourself as a transgressor of God’s law? The people of Israel called the name of that place Bochim, which means weeping. With all of the pain and sorrow that causes you to weep, do you also know of crying and weeping over your sins? Do you also know of such a Bochim in your life?
There were such sorrowing ones among the people of Israel. There were also those, however, who wept over the punishment, but when deliverance came and the punishment was removed, they forgot the Lord and continued on in their disobedience. The tears dried up when the punishment was removed.
Is that also true of you, that your tears disappear when you have been delivered out of your difficulties, such as being delivered from the danger which was facing you or being restored from a serious illness, or … Weeping over sin is already a mark of grace, for a broken and contrite heart is pleasing unto the Lord because it is His own work wherein He is glorified and a sinner is saved. God’s Word says of this, “They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them.” Do you know something of that weeping which no one but God alone can remove?
Then there is a fleeing from sin and a desire to live holily before God. That also causes a weeping because one cannot remove the sins, and with all of one’s desires and attempts at improving one’s life, sin is not and will not be reconciled. True rest can never be found in that weeping. Weeping and crying ones, there is no one upon this earth who can give you comfort. Such comfort can only be found in the cleansing and sanctifying blood of the weeping Surety and Mediator.
The people of Israel in the days of our text wept at Bochim because of the words of the Angel who had pointed out their departing and forsaking of the Lord. The impression among the people of Israel was great. What is your attitude when God’s Word is read or when you are under the proclamation of God’s Word, especially in His house? Are there still impressions? Where do we find a bowing under God’s Word in our hearts, in our homes, and in our country? In the weeping of the people it is pictured that God’s Word still had power. All the people gathered together to offer unto the Lord. Would we not be filled with joy if in our days our people would also turn from their sins and return unto the service of the Lord?
There in Bochim it was only for a time, as is related to us in the continuance of the history. It was frequently noted in such universal conversions in the history of the people of Israel, and in the history of the church, that it was only a repentance of a passing nature. Widespread weeping is not a sign of a true conversion. Remember, also, that there is no true conversion without tears. However, in spite of the general declension from God and His service, according to His Word, the Lord has a remnant elected by grace.
Also in the time of the Judges there were those who knew of true weeping over sin and looked for forgiveness of their sin and guilt. They knew that their tears, their prayers, and their works could not reconcile their sins. This was preached in the Old Dispensation by means of the offerings which pointed to the promised sacrifice of Christ in the shedding of His precious blood. Only that blood cleanses from all sin. The purifying and sanctifying power of that Lamb which was offered is sufficient for all times to save unholy transgressors of God’s law and for those who break His Covenant. Have you already experienced something of this in your life?
helma

Bericht door helma »

Said a precious little laddie to his Father one bright day
“May I give myself to Jesus? Let Him wash my sins away?”
“Oh my son, but you’re too little wait until you older grow,
For bigger folk ‘tis true do need Him but little ones are safe, you know.”

Said the Father to the laddie as a storm was coming on,
“Are the sheep all safely sheltered safe within the fold, my son?”
“Ah—the big ones are, my Father but the lambs, I let them go
For I didn’t think it mattered, little ones are safe, you know.”

Oh my brother, oh, my sister; have you too made that mistake'
Little hearts that now are yielded may be hardened then too late.
Ere the evil days come nigh them “Let the children come to Me
And forbid them not,” said Jesus “Of such shall my Kingdom be.”

Author unknown
Plaats reactie