Elkaar opbouwen in het geloof (Engelse versie)

helma

Re: Elkaar opbouwen in het geloof (Engelse versie)

Bericht door helma »

The punishment of mankind. (Matthew Henry)

The woman, for her sin, is condemned to a state of sorrow, and of subjection; proper punishments of that sin, in which she had sought to gratify the desire of her eye, and of the flesh, and her pride.
Sin brought sorrow into the world; that made the world a vale of tears.
No wonder our sorrows are multiplied, when our sins are so.
He shall rule over thee, is but God's command, Wives, be subject to your own husbands.
If man had not sinned, he would always have ruled with wisdom and
love; if the woman had not sinned, she would always have obeyed with humility and meekness.
Adam laid the blame on his wife; but though it was her fault to persuade him to eat the forbidden fruit, it was his fault to hearken to her.
Thus men's frivolous pleas will, in the day of God's judgment, be turned against them. God put marks of displeasure on Adam.

1. His habitation is cursed. God gave the earth to the children of men, to be a comfortable dwelling; but it is now cursed for man's sin. Yet
Adam is not himself cursed, as the serpent was, but only the ground for his sake.
2. His employments and enjoyments are imbittered to him. Labour is our duty, which we must faithfully perform; it is part of man's sentence, which idleness daringly defies.
Uneasiness and weariness with labour are our just punishment, which we must patiently submit to, since they are less than our iniquity deserves.
Man's food shall become unpleasant to him. Yet man is not sentenced to eat dust as the serpent,
only to eat the herb of the field.
3. His life also is but short; considering how full of trouble his days are, it is in favour to him that they are few. Yet death being dreadful to nature, even when life is unpleasant, that concludes the punishment. Sin brought death into the world: if Adam had not sinned, he had not died. He gave way to temptation, but the Saviour withstood it.
And how admirably the satisfaction of our Lord Jesus, by his death and sufferings, answered the sentence passed on our first parents!

Did travailing pains come with sin? We read of the travail of Christ's soul, Isa 53:11; and the pains of death he was held by, are so called, Ac 2:24.
Did subjection came in with sin? Christ was made under the law, Ga 4:4.
Did the curse come in with sin? Christ was made a curse for us, he died a cursed death, Ga 3:13.
Did thorns come in with sin? He was crowned with thorns for us.
Did sweat come in with sin? He sweat for us, as it had been great drops of blood.
Did sorrow come in with sin? He was a man of sorrows; his soul was, in his agony, exceeding sorrowful. Did death come in with sin? He became obedient unto death.

Thus is the plaster as wide as the wound. Blessed be God for his Son our Lord Jesus Christ. (Gen 3:20)
J.C. Philpot

Bericht door J.C. Philpot »

Growth in grace

(Archibald Alexander, "Growth in Grace" 1844)

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen." 2 Peter 3:18

Growth in grace is evidenced by a more habitual vigilance against besetting sins and temptations, and by greater self-denial in regard to personal indulgence. A growing conscientiousness in regard to what may be called minor Christian duties is also a good sign. (The counterfeit of this is an over-scrupulous conscience, which sometimes haggles at the most innocent gratifications, and has led some to hesitate about taking their daily food.)

Increasing spiritual-mindedness is a sure evidence of progress in piety; and this will always be accompanied by increasing deadness to the world.

Continued aspirations for God, indicate the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, by whose agency all progress in sanctification is made.

Increasing solicitude for the salvation of men, sorrow on account of their sinful and miserable condition, and a disposition tenderly to warn sinners of their danger--evince a growing state of piety.

It is also a strong evidence of growth in grace, when you can bear injuries and provocations with meekness, and when you can from the heart desire the temporal and eternal welfare of your bitterest enemies.

An entire and confident reliance on the promises and providence of God, however dark may be your horizon, or however many difficulties environ you--is a sign that you have learned to live by faith.

Humble contentment with your condition, though it is one of poverty and obscurity--shows that you have profited by sitting at the feet of Jesus.

Diligence in the duties of our secular calling, with a view to the glory of God, is an evidence not to be despised.

Indeed, there is no surer standard of spiritual growth than a habit of aiming at the glory of God in everything.

Increasing love to the brethren is a sure sign of growth; for as brotherly love is a proof of the existence of grace, so is the exercise of such love a proof of vigor in the divine life.

A victory over besetting sins by which the person was frequently led away--shows an increased vigor in grace.

Sometimes the children of God grow faster when in the fiery furnace than elsewhere. As metals are purified by being cast into the fire--so saints have their dross consumed and their graces brightened--by being cast into the furnace of affliction.
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
J.C. Philpot

My whole creed and duty

(J.R. Miller, "Intimate Letters on Personal Problems" 1914)

"No longer do I call you servants; but I have called you friends!" John 15:15

For myself, after all my years of teaching and helping others, and all my experiences as a Christian, my whole creed is summed up into one little sentence, "Christ and I are friends!" No friend in all the world is so near to me as He is. I trust Him, I love Him, I take everything to Him, I lay every burden upon Him. I go to Him for wisdom, for help, for the love I need in my own heart. He is everything to me as Friend.

Christ is my personal Friend. He is my dearest, truest, strongest and best Friend!

Then for myself, my whole duty is summed up in being a friend of Christ's. He says, "You are my friends, if you do whatever I command you." This includes all Scripture commands.

In telling you this, I want to help you to understand that the essential thing in the Christian life is knowing Christ, trusting Him, loving Him, following Him, having Christ for your Friend--and being His friend.

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

Source: Grace Gems (www.gracegems.org) daily emailed devotional
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
J.C. Philpot

Fly into the bosom of Christ for refuge and safety!

(J.R. Miller, "Intimate Letters on Personal Problems" 1914)

"Whoever humbles himself like this child, is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven." Matthew 18:4

It is very sweet just to nestle down in the bosom of Christ--to be as a little child with Him. Those who come otherwise do not get near to Him--but the child-like always find a close place in His heart. So the more like children we can be in our trust and in the simplicity of our faith, in humbleness of disposition, in willingness to do His will and to learn of Him--the nearer to Him shall we get, and the more shall we enjoy of His love.

Some years ago, as I was passing along one of our streets one afternoon, I heard a fluttering of birds over my head and, looking up, saw a little bird flying wildly about in circles, chased by a hawk! The bird flew down lower and lower, and then darted into my bosom, under my coat. I cannot quite express to you, the feeling which filled my heart at that moment--that a little bird, chased by an enemy, had come to me for refuge, trusting me in time of danger. I laid my hand over the bird, which nestled as quietly and confidently under my coat, as a baby would in a mother's bosom. I carried the little thing along for several blocks until I thought the way was clear of danger, and then let it out. It flew away into the air again, but showed no fear of me. Ever since that experience, I have understood better what it is to fly into the bosom of Christ for refuge and safety in time of danger, or in time of distress.

All this helps me to understand better what it means to Jesus when we, hunted and chased by enemies, or suffering from weakness or pain--fly to Him and hide ourselves in His love.

That is all we need to do--just to creep into the bosom of Christ, and lie down there, with no fear, no anxiety, but with simple trust.

The lines of Wesley's old hymn have meant more ever since:

"Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.

Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
Oh, receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.

All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing."

Source: Grace Gems (www.gracegems.org) daily emailed devotional

George Whitefield
J.C. Philpot

I cannot save and sanctify myself; I cannot make atonement for sin; I cannot redeem the world; I cannot right what is wrong, purify what is impure, or make holy what is unholy. That is all the sovereign work of God. Do I have faith in what Jesus Christ has done? He has made the perfect atonement for sin. Am I in the habit of constantly realizing it? The greatest need we have is not to do things, but to believe things. The redemption of Christ is not an experience, it is the great act of God which He has performed through Christ, and I have to build my faith on it. If I construct my faith on my own experience, I produce the most unscriptural kind of life— an isolated life, with my eyes focused solely on my own holiness. Beware of that human holiness that is not based on the atonement of the Lord. It has no value for anything except a life of isolation— it is useless to God and a nuisance to man. Measure every kind of experience you have by our Lord Himself. We cannot do anything pleasing to God unless we deliberately build on the foundation of the atonement by the Cross of Christ.

George Whitefield
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bert Mulder »

"So many people seem to be ignoring the idea of God -- that He's like some little beggar with a tin cup standing stranded on a corner somewhere that if we at least throw our dime in it's a lot better than any one else. God is not poor. Tozer said, and I agree, "If every man on earth became blind it would not diminish the glory of the sun and the moon and the stars", and if every person on earth turned atheist it would not diminish the glory of God. He has no need of you. As a matter of fact, realize this, Satan and the angels fell and God sent them no Saviour and they will go to Hell. Our father Adam fell, and I want you to know if God had never sent us a Saviour and allowed the whole human race to go straight to Hell, He would still be just and still be glorious and still be loving."

Paul Washer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAcrDiI ... ture=share
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
J.C. Philpot

In Him we have . . . the forgiveness of sins . . . —Ephesians 1:7

Beware of the pleasant view of the fatherhood of God: God is so kind and loving that of course He will forgive us. That thought, based solely on emotion, cannot be found anywhere in the New Testament. The only basis on which God can forgive us is the tremendous tragedy of the Cross of Christ. To base our forgiveness on any other ground is unconscious blasphemy. The only ground on which God can forgive our sin and reinstate us to His favor is through the Cross of Christ. There is no other way! Forgiveness, which is so easy for us to accept, cost the agony at Calvary. We should never take the forgiveness of sin, the gift of the Holy Spirit, and our sanctification in simple faith, and then forget the enormous cost to God that made all of this ours.

Forgiveness is the divine miracle of grace. The cost to God was the Cross of Christ. To forgive sin, while remaining a holy God, this price had to be paid. Never accept a view of the fatherhood of God if it blots out the atonement. The revealed truth of God is that without the atonement He cannot forgive— He would contradict His nature if He did. The only way we can be forgiven is by being brought back to God through the atonement of the Cross. God’s forgiveness is possible only in the supernatural realm.

Compared with the miracle of the forgiveness of sin, the experience of sanctification is small. Sanctification is simply the wonderful expression or evidence of the forgiveness of sins in a human life. But the thing that awakens the deepest fountain of gratitude in a human being is that God has forgiven his sin. Paul never got away from this. Once you realize all that it cost God to forgive you, you will be held as in a vise, constrained by the love of God.

George Whitefield
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bert Mulder »

I preach that every man who believes shall be saved—that every man who comes shall find mercy.

People ask me, "But suppose a man should come who was not chosen, would he be saved?"

You go and suppose nonsense and I am not going to give you an answer. If a man is not chosen he will never come. When he does come it is a sure proof that he was chosen.

Says one, "Suppose any one should go to Christ who had not been called of the Spirit."

Stop, my brother, that is a supposition thou hast no right to make, for such a thing
cannot happen; you only say it to entangle me, and you will not do that just yet. I
say every man who comes to Christ shall be saved. I can say that as a Calvinist, or
as a hyper-Calvinist, as plainly as you can say it. I have no narrower gospel than
you have; only my gospel is on a solid foundation, whereas yours is built upon nothing but sand and rottenness. "Every man that cometh shall be saved, for no man
cometh to me except the Father draw him."

"But," says one, "suppose all the world should come, would Christ receive them?"

Certainly, if all came; but then they won't come. I tell you all that come—aye, if they were as bad as devils, Christ would receive them; if they had all sin and filthiness running into their hearts as into a common sewer for the whole world, Christ would receive them.

Another says, "I want to know about the rest of the people. May I go out and tell them—Jesus Christ died for every one of you? May I say—there is righteousness for everyone of you, there is life for every one of you?"

No; you may not. You may say—there is life for every man that comes. But if you say
there is life for one of those that do not believe, you utter a dangerous lie. If you
tell them Jesus Christ was punished for their sins, and yet they will be lost, you tell a wilful falsehood. To think that God could punish Christ and then punish those who perish, I wonder at your daring to have the impudence to say so!
...C H. Spurgeon.
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
François Turretini

Bericht door François Turretini »

Doesn't that excerpt come from the sermon entitled 'Free Will: A Slave'?

Looking back, reading that sermon might have been a turning point for me to accept the doctrines of grace, as they are taught in the reformed tradition.
Plaats reactie