All the promises in the gospel are for awakened sinners

wim

Bericht door wim »

cannabis schreef: Please, there is no topic more misunderstood than that of faith. Faith is not the same as believing. Believing is an act of the soul. Faith is the ability of the soul to believe. This may seem subtle, but it is not. I can have eyes and have them closed. Having eyes is not the same as looking and seeing. People always mess this up and get their shirts in a knot as a result.
Als je alleen de mogelijkheid bezit en er geen daadwerkelijk gebruik van maakt, dan zou je die mogelijkheid net zo goed als niet-bestaand kunnen beschouwen. Het komt mij voor als een erg kunstmatig onderscheid. Hoe kun je dit vanuit de schrift onderbouwen?
Arrow

Bericht door Arrow »

cannabis schreef: Arrow doesnt believe in systems. Reread my posting about interpretation. Do you see the Bible as a haphazard collection of potentially contradictory dogmas? Or is there a pattern, is there logic, consistency? Inconsistency implies error. Hypercalvinism is perfectly consistent. Calvinism is not. I see no contradiction in the laws of physics that maintain the universe, though I do not understand it all. So in theology. If the natural part of God's revelation is so ordered in all things and sure, maybe His covenant revelations are too (as He claims).
In my view the Bible is the message of God to sinners (awakened or not). It's not a book full of puzzles that in some way or other all connect to each other. Our duty is to believe the Gospel and not to correct or finish the work of the Holy Spirit in His divine inspiration of Scripture. The Gospel message in itself is very clear: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. (John 6, 47) That's it, clear and simple.

Of course there is a pattern etc. But is unravelling the logic, the pattern of crucial importance? Jesus said about the children: Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for such is the kingdom of God. (Mark 10, 14) Could little children like that comprehend all the subtly stated dogmas? They don't need it, because such as they are, ignorant, uneducated, they are welcomed into the kingdom of God.
Kaw
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kaw »

There's a short answer in the bible. It shows us that Jesus died for the faithless: "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly." and "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Hypercalvinism isn't about rightiousness, but about unbelieve.
plebe

Bericht door plebe »

Over hyper gesproken......
"Alzo lief had God de wereld dat Hij Zijn eniggeboren Zoon gegeven heeft.........."

O liefde Gods,
oneindig groot
ver boven ons verstand en geredeneer.....
die mij o zondaar weer een Weg ontsloot
naar 't hemels Vaderland!
Gelooft het evangelie en bekeert u !
Afgewezen

Bericht door Afgewezen »

A right to come to Christ? And how does an unregenerate person come to Christ of his own power? How, if his heart is full of enmity. This is what I call dwaasheid.
Kijk, hier ga je scheef in je redenering. Een ‘recht’ om te komen tot Christus is niet hetzelfde als een ‘vermogen’ om te komen tot Christus. Leg mij niet op dat ik, omdat ik het eerste zeg, ook wel het tweede zal zeggen. Zo maak je al snel van iemand een ketter.
But you can preach that it is their duty to repent and turn to God and beg for His mercy and salvation, because Christ died for the greatest of sinners.
En daarmee veronderstel je toch – tegen wil en dank – dat er een ‘recht’ is voor de grootste der zondaars om tot Christus te gaan. Although they aren’t able to!
Please, there is no topic more misunderstood than that of faith. Faith is not the same as believing. Believing is an act of the soul. Faith is the ability of the soul to believe. This may seem subtle, but it is not. I can have eyes and have them closed. Having eyes is not the same as looking and seeing. People always mess this up and get their shirts in a knot as a result.
I know this distinction, but it isn’t important for our debate. In de Bijbel wordt het woord geloven onbekommerd in actieve zin gebruikt.
That God is not the author of sin but has determined who will be saved is perfectly consistent. There is a difference in His will of permission and of decree. You ought to know this.
I know this, but isn’t the solution of the problem. God had de zonde tegen kunnen houden, maar deed dit niet! Waarom niet? Die vraag mogen wij niet stellen, wij dienen daarin ‘inconsistent’ te blijven.
To call hypercalvinism "de dood in de pot" is a strong statement. To set dead people to work as modern preachers like to do sounds more "dood in de pot" to me. Exchanging power with form. Why you think it makes God a tirant is not clear. I shudder to hear anyone say this, and then give no reasons. Nor does it diminish the gospel. Rather, it prevents it from being trampled by swine.
Ik weet voorbeelden waartoe hypercalvinisme een mens brengen kan: tot lijdelijkheid, tot wanhoop. Je moet maar afwachten of God jou stilzet…
Het tegenovergestelde van hypercalvinisme is overigens niet ‘tot set dead people tot work’. In dat laatste zie ook ik een groot gevaar. Waar het om gaat is dat het Evangelie verkondigd moet worden zonder restricties, en het is de Heilige Geest Die het Woord toepast zoals dat voor degene die Hij op het oog heeft, nodig is. Hij overtuigt door dat Woord (het Evangelie wijst de mens immers aan als zondaar) en Hij maakt levend door dat Woord (‘Geloof in de Heere Jezus Christus en gij zult zalig worden’). In het Evangelie zit alles wat de mens nodig heeft!
cannabis

Bericht door cannabis »

Arrow: It is not for us to extend theology one iota beyond revelation, as you say. But it is for us to understand what is being said. If we do not understand to whom God is speaking the promises, we are apt to misapply them. When a warden walks into the hallway of a prison and says, "you are going to be released tomorrow", the prisoners will rightly ask who he is talking to.
cannabis

Bericht door cannabis »

Plebe: Most of the old fathers (Dutch, English, Scottish, American, etc) believed in a glorious state of the church to come. Soon to come, if we read Revelation correctly. And then most of the world is expected to repent and be saved. What a different meaning that gives to God giving His Son for the world.
cannabis

Bericht door cannabis »

Kaw: Christ died for the faithless, you say. I agree. Though Paul was elect, and justified from eternity, he was still a sinner while persecuting. All the unconverted are ungodly, without God and hope in the world (Eph 2), until regenerated and receiving the indwelling of the Spirit. How does that contradict hypercalvinism at all?
How can you possibly say that hypercalvinism is not about God's eternal righteousness being imputed to lost sinners?! And how can you assert that it leads to unbelief? Preaching the promises to everyone is more likely to lead to presumption than preaching that the promises are only for the awakened, regenerated sinner is likely to lead to unbelief. Unbelief for whom? For the unregenerated? Are they not unbelievers already? Does preaching that the promises are for them make them believers by itself?
cannabis

Bericht door cannabis »

Afgewezen.

You are right, having a right and having the ability is not the same. But what if you say I have the right while I dont have the ability or the will? What on earth can that profit me?
I dont ketterify (if I may coin a word) someone too quick. Please understand that the positions I promulgate here are pretty much my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the GGiN.

I dont presuppose that we have the right to go to Christ. I dont argue that point at all, one way or another. Having the duty to turn to God and repent from sin, is not really the same as having the right to come to Christ and lay claim on His righteousness.

I am aware of the active use of the words geloof and geloven in Dutch. The distinction I make between faith and belief may not translate as well in Dutch. But I recall reading Brakel's definitions of faith (in Dutch), and he mentions that at times it refers to an ability and at times to the act of soul through or with that ability. He has other permutations of it as well, but it has been a long time ago that I read it. The distinction I make is relevant and quite critical, however.

Why God did not prevent sin while He could? To increase His glory by displaying His justice , mercy, wisdom and sovereignty.

There are questions we cannot answer, but these unanswered questions are not inconsistencies. Something may go above my reason (lots of things do), but not against it. When they go against it, I want an explanation.

That hypercalvinism can make some people blame God for their damnation (secretly, of course, never openly) does not mean the doctrine is wrong. It only reflects and reveals our rotten, selfish nature.

When people emphasize that the promises are for all, that all have a right to come to Christ, that we must simply believe God and take Him on His word, that is setting dead people to work. That's my beef with lots of current pastors.

Now, to put my position in perspective. Do I think that ministers should say: this promise is for those who meet this and this particular, unique criteria? No. I quoted Owen before regarding God's sovereignty in how He leads as well as who he saves. However, pastors should make clear that there must be a thirst, a hunger, etc first. The promises are for the thirsty, etc. Now, thirst is not knowing in your mind that you are thirsty, but in your soul. It is a sensible thirst. A thirst for God. As long as we come to God for salvation alone, we do not come to Him rightly. Not that we should not beg for deliverance from punishment, but that is not the most important thing. That is aimed at self, not God.
Arrow

Bericht door Arrow »

cannabis schreef:Arrow: It is not for us to extend theology one iota beyond revelation, as you say. But it is for us to understand what is being said. If we do not understand to whom God is speaking the promises, we are apt to misapply them. When a warden walks into the hallway of a prison and says, "you are going to be released tomorrow", the prisoners will rightly ask who he is talking to.
But Christ says: Revelation 22,17: "... And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

So, in your example, the warden will say: "whoever will, shall be released tomorrow." And then it becomes clear: His message is meant for all the prisoners who want to be set free. And they all will shout: "I want to be free".

God has given His Gospel to mankind, so the promises contained in it are addressed to each and everyone. You can apply a whole array of adjectives to the word 'sinner' (including 'awakened'), the sinner will remain a sinner. Nothing changes, awakened or not. Nothing in the sinner will make him eligible to salvation. My duty is to believe, not to earn 'promising' adjectives to my fallen nature. I need to embrace Christ and later on I will see it was sovereign grace that saved me, worked in my by the Holy Spirit.
wim

Bericht door wim »

cannabis schreef:When people emphasize that the promises are for all, that all have a right to come to Christ, that we must simply believe God and take Him on His word, that is setting dead people to work.
De bijbel zet dode mensen ook erg vaak aan het werk. De oproep tot bekering is een oproep tot werk. Maar waar een mens zich bekeert, is God werkzaam. Zo simpel is het. God geloven en hem op zijn woord vertrouwen is volgens mij alles beter dan jezelf aan te zetten tot zelfmishaging om je geschikt te maken voor de beloften. De beloften komen tot ongeschikten. Niet tot reeds bekeerden.

Waar die hypercalvinisten aan lijden is een minachting voor het Woord van God. Gods Woord bezit zelf de kracht om doden op te wekken. Dan kun je (met dat woord) dus heel goed doden adresseren.
Pim
Contacteer:

Bericht door Pim »

Het bijzondere in dit soort discussies vind ik altijd het volgende:

De Heere Jezus wist (weet) als geen ander hoe het er met de mensen aan toe is en wat ze wel en niet kunnen. Dan zou je denken als Hij gaat preken, dan pakt Hij het goed aan en kiest de perfecte invalshoek.

Wat denk je? Jezus gaat oproepen tot geloof en bekering. Maar dat is niet zo handig vinden wij, want stel je voor dat mensen denken dat ze kunnen geloven en zich kunnen bekeren. Laten wij onze invalshoek dan maar wat beter kiezen en de genade in beschouwende zin presenteren/voorstellen of hoe je het dan ook noemt......
Hartelijke groet,

Pim.

Het is vandaag een dag van Goede Boodschap. PrekenWeb.nl
plebe

Bericht door plebe »

Pim schreef:Het bijzondere in dit soort discussies vind ik altijd het volgende:

De Heere Jezus wist (weet) als geen ander hoe het er met de mensen aan toe is en wat ze wel en niet kunnen. Dan zou je denken als Hij gaat preken, dan pakt Hij het goed aan en kiest de perfecte invalshoek.

Wat denk je? Jezus gaat oproepen tot geloof en bekering. Maar dat is niet zo handig vinden wij, want stel je voor dat mensen denken dat ze kunnen geloven en zich kunnen bekeren. Laten wij onze invalshoek dan maar wat beter kiezen en de genade in beschouwende zin presenteren/voorstellen of hoe je het dan ook noemt......
"Werp het Woord erin en ge zult wonderen zien! " moet Kohlbrugge ooit hebben gezegd.
Wat wordt de macht van God toch vaak onderschat in refo-nederland. We lijken soms liever stil te staan bij de vernielende kracht van Zijn toorn dan bij de vernieuwende kracht van Zijn Geest.

Hoort naar Hem!
en buig voor Hem!
Gelooft het evangelie en bekeert u !
Corydoras

Bericht door Corydoras »

cannabis schreef:There are questions we cannot answer, but these unanswered questions are not inconsistencies. Something may go above my reason (lots of things do), but not against it.
Ik vind dit een gezocht onderscheid (above - against reason). God is niet onderworpen aan onze logica, ook die behoort tot de geschapen werkelijkheid. Als volgens ons logisch denken zaken contradictory or inconsistent zijn, zegt dat helemaal niets.
When they go against it, I want an explanation.
Nogal gedurfd om God zo ter verantwoording te roepen. Nogmaals, besef dat ook de regels van de logica door God gegeven zijn en Hij daar dus niet aan onderworpen is!
Afgewezen

Bericht door Afgewezen »

But what if you say I have the right while I dont have the ability or the will? What on earth can that profit me?
Deze vraag is niet aan de orde.
I dont presuppose that we have the right to go to Christ. I dont argue that point at all, one way or another. Having the duty to turn to God and repent from sin, is not really the same as having the right to come to Christ and lay claim on His righteousness.
Wat zegt Jezus tegen de schare (die merendeels uit ongelovigen bestond) in Joh. 6: “Mijn Vader geeft u dat ware brood uit de hemel. Want het Brood Gods is Hij, Die uit de hemel nederdaalt, en Die der wereld het leven geeft.”
Als God iets geeft, hebben wij dan niet het ‘recht’ om het te ontvangen? Sterker, wij hebben de ‘plicht’ om te ontvangen. Kónden de Joden dat dan, Christus ontvangen? Nee: “ Niemand kan tot Mij komen, tenzij dat de Vader Die Mij gezonden heeft, hem trekke.” Moeten we dan dus maar van Gods gave zeggen: ‘What on earth can that profit me?’
But I recall reading Brakel's definitions of faith (in Dutch), and he mentions that at times it refers to an ability and at times to the act of soul through or with that ability. He has other permutations of it as well, but it has been a long time ago that I read it. The distinction I make is relevant and quite critical, however.
I cannot see why this distinction is so very important. Faith is een gave van God, en het is een duty voor ons. Beide gegevens staan in de Bijbel, beide moeten we staande houden.
Why God did not prevent sin while He could? To increase His glory by displaying His justice , mercy, wisdom and sovereignty.
Door dit te zeggen kom je toch gevaarlijk dicht bij de uitspraak dat God de Auteur van de zonde is (want Hij heeft die niet verhinderd ‘to increase His glory’). Natuurlijk zeg je dat niet en dus blijft het een ‘inconsistency’.
When people emphasize that the promises are for all, that all have a right to come to Christ, that we must simply believe God and take Him on His word, that is setting dead people to work. That's my beef with lots of current pastors.
Ik begrijp je vrees. Maar je moet niet de ene dwaling met de andere bestrijden. Het gaat om het juiste evenwicht. Ik zeg niet dat je moet ‘simply believe God and take Him ons His word’; ik benadruk dat dit gebeurt in een weg van bekering door de werking van de Heilige Geest. Maar ons geloof moet een grond buiten ons hebben, een ‘objectieve’ grond, en dat is de belofte van het Evangelie. Bovendien, de Bijbel spreekt zo: “Bekeert u en geloof het Evangelie.”
As long as we come to God for salvation alone, we do not come to Him rightly. Not that we should not beg for deliverance from punishment, but that is not the most important thing. That is aimed at self, not God.
I’ve already quoted Brakel about this point. Ik zet het nog maar een keer neer:
“God heeft het geestelijk zoeken van zich zelven den mensch ingeschapen; moest Adam door de bedreiging; ten dage, als gij daarvan eet, zult gij den dood sterven, niet bezorgd zijn zich van het eten van dien boom te wachten: Moest hij niet vrezen zijn gelukzaligen staat te verliezen? Moest hij zijne zaligheid niet zoeken in de gemeenschap met zijn God? ….. Uit deze allen (Brakel noemt nog meer argumenten Afg.) blijkt, dat het niet beogen van zijnen welstand, ....... zich ten opzichte van zijne behoudenis geheel kwijt te zijn, en zich zelven overal uit de houden, geene geestelijkheid is, maar een eigen versierde godsdienst, tegen Gods gebod, en nergens toe dient, dan tot verzadiging des vleesches, en eigene inbeelding.”

Further, when we come, must we bring something with us, our being thirsty, and offer it to God? We have the duty to come, but we don’t come before we feel thirsty. That’s the question.
Plaats reactie