Puritan Quotes

Arja
Contacteer:

Re: Puritan Quotes

Bericht door Arja »

A needy sinner and an all sufficient Savior can walk sweetly together.
Mary Winslow
Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

I would like to sit at Jonathan Edwards feet to learn what true religion is, and at Thomas Boston's to learn how to get it.
Dr John Duncan
Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

“Oh holy God, make me such a creature as thou canst take pleasure in, and such a being that I can take pleasure in thee.” – The Valley Of Vision
Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

The kingdom of heaven is for the heirs, Wherefore it is said expressly, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. By this one word, down goes all carnal privilege of being born of flesh and blood, and of the will of man. Canst thou produce the birthright?

– John Bunyan
Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

"The yoke of the old covenant is not upon the neck of believers, because the stroke of it is upon the back of Christ."
Thomas Manton, Exposition of Isaiah 53
Canada

Bericht door Canada »

A testimony of Jonathan Edwards, which shows a wonderful blend of feasting on doctrine, humble contemplations, enjoyment of the nearness of Christ, all resulting in expressions of holy desires. Truly a father in grace.

Sometimes, only mentioning a single word caused my heart to burn with me; or only seeing the name of Christ, or the name of some attribute of God. And God has appeared glorious to me on account of the Trinity. It has made me have exalting thoughts of God, that he subsists in three persons; the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The sweetest joys and delights I have experienced have not been those that have arisen from a hope of my own good estate, but in a direct view of the glorious things of the gospel.
Once, as I rode out into the woods for my health, in 1737, having alighted from my horse in a retired place, as my manner commonly has been to walk for divine contemplation and prayer, I had a view that for me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God, as Mediator between God and man, and his wonderful, great, full, pure and sweet grace and love, and meek and gentle condescension. This grace that appeared so calm and sweet, appeared also great above the heavens. The person of Christ appeared ineffably excellent with an excellency great enough to swallow up all thought and conception – which continued, as near as I can judge, about an hour; which kept me the greater part of the time in a flood of tears and weeping aloud. I felt an ardency of soul to be, what I know not otherwise how to express, emptied and annihilated; to lie in the dust, and to be full of Christ alone; to love Him with a holy and pure love; to trust in Him; to live upon Him; to serve and follow Him; and to be perfectly sanctified and made pure, with a divine and heavenly purity. I have, several other times, had views very much of the same nature, and which have had the same effects. From: Ian Murray, Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography (Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1987, pages 99-100.
HersteldHervormd

Bericht door HersteldHervormd »

Canada schreef:A testimony of Jonathan Edwards, which shows a wonderful blend of feasting on doctrine, humble contemplations, enjoyment of the nearness of Christ, all resulting in expressions of holy desires. Truly a father in grace.

Sometimes, only mentioning a single word caused my heart to burn with me; or only seeing the name of Christ, or the name of some attribute of God. And God has appeared glorious to me on account of the Trinity. It has made me have exalting thoughts of God, that he subsists in three persons; the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The sweetest joys and delights I have experienced have not been those that have arisen from a hope of my own good estate, but in a direct view of the glorious things of the gospel.
Once, as I rode out into the woods for my health, in 1737, having alighted from my horse in a retired place, as my manner commonly has been to walk for divine contemplation and prayer, I had a view that for me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God, as Mediator between God and man, and his wonderful, great, full, pure and sweet grace and love, and meek and gentle condescension. This grace that appeared so calm and sweet, appeared also great above the heavens. The person of Christ appeared ineffably excellent with an excellency great enough to swallow up all thought and conception – which continued, as near as I can judge, about an hour; which kept me the greater part of the time in a flood of tears and weeping aloud. I felt an ardency of soul to be, what I know not otherwise how to express, emptied and annihilated; to lie in the dust, and to be full of Christ alone; to love Him with a holy and pure love; to trust in Him; to live upon Him; to serve and follow Him; and to be perfectly sanctified and made pure, with a divine and heavenly purity. I have, several other times, had views very much of the same nature, and which have had the same effects. From: Ian Murray, Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography (Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1987, pages 99-100.
Is there in Canada and the USA still attention for the Reformed theology at this moment?
Dankbaarheid is de moeder van alle deugden.
mail: broederhh@gmail.com
Canada

Bericht door Canada »

Is there in Canada and the USA still attention for the Reformed theology at this moment?

I would say so. The most conservative Reformed seminary is Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids. The old seminaries such as Harvard and Princeton - founded by godly men - have long ago become very liberal. As you probably know PRTS is owned by the Heritage Reformed Churches and operated in partnership with the Free Reformed Churches. Other conservative seminaries are Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary and Mid America Reformed Seminary. More seminaries could be mentioned. I hope I understood your question correctly.
gallio

Bericht door gallio »

Canada schreef:Is there in Canada and the USA still attention for the Reformed theology at this moment?

I would say so. The most conservative Reformed seminary is Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids. The old seminaries such as Harvard and Princeton - founded by godly men - have long ago become very liberal. As you probably know PRTS is owned by the Heritage Reformed Churches and operated in partnership with the Free Reformed Churches. Other conservative seminaries are Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary and Mid America Reformed Seminary. More seminaries could be mentioned. I hope I understood your question correctly.
I think that attention is there also at the congregational and individual level. I expect more so among the conservative Presbyterian churches than in the various Reformed churches.
Arja
Contacteer:

Bericht door Arja »

Let our hearts admit, “I am poor and weak. Satan is too subtle, too cunning, too powerful; he watches constantly for advantages over my soul. The world presses in upon me with all sorts of pressures, pleas, and pretences. My own corruption is violent, tumultuous, enticing, and entangling. As it conceives sin, it wars within me and against me. Occasions and opportunities for temptation are innumerable. No wonder I do not know how deeply involved I have been with sin. Therefore, on God alone will I rely for my keeping. I will continually look to Him. John Owen
helma

Bericht door helma »

Heere, help mij U te eren door te geloven voordat ik voel, want groot is de zonde als ik gevoel tot oorzaak van geloof maak.Afbeelding
Plaats reactie