Is Scottish theology superior?

Plaats reactie
Canada

Is Scottish theology superior?

Bericht door Canada »

I am intrigued that when I read the numerous arguments in this forum about the free offer, views on the covenants, etc., etc. the Dutch seem often to find solutions with the Scottish theologians, such as the Erskines, Boston, McCheyne, etc. Did they have more clarity? Are there other reasons?
J.C. Philpot

Re: Is Scottish theology superior?

Bericht door J.C. Philpot »

This is actually a good question.

There are also theological sound, experimental and Christocentric works from the past from the Netherlands. But there were also many Dutch Reformed theologians in the past, who were very introspective, and systematized the experience of Gods people.

In my humble opinion, a lot of the puritans and Scottish theologians, while maintaining a warm and experimental Calvinism, are more Christocentric, and clearer regarding the free offer of the gospel and the call to faith and repentance.

But instead of calling the Scottish theology superior, I would like to stress the deep connection there is between the Dutch and Scottish experimental-Reformed churches.
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
Habitat

Bericht door Habitat »

Interesting question, because I would like to know more about the differences between Scottish and Dutch theology and praxis. Unfortunately I don't know much about it yet, so I can't give you the answer.
Sometimes I listen to a sermon of the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland and I notice that those sermons are ... different. But I can't say exactly why.
Ambtenaar

Bericht door Ambtenaar »

It's a kind of an odd question. What do you mean with superior?
Herman

Bericht door Herman »

Suggestion: Most clear about the biblical thruth of salvation.
Canada

Bericht door Canada »

It being superior may be an overstatement. One thing I have noticed is that ministers in even the most conservative Presbyterian church (the FP) have no reservations whatsoever about preaching the free offer of the Gospel. My impression is that in the Netherlands (and in North America) the free offer generally becomes less frequent, weaker or is missing altogether the more conservative the church is.
Zonnebloem

Bericht door Zonnebloem »

Canada schreef:It being superior may be an overstatement. One thing I have noticed is that ministers in even the most conservative Presbyterian church (the FP) have no reservations whatsoever about preaching the free offer of the Gospel. My impression is that in the Netherlands (and in North America) the free offer generally becomes less frequent, weaker or is missing altogether the more conservative the church is.
The well-meant offer of the gospel is generally accepted by Calvinists, but rejected by a few small Reformed denominations, such as the Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Australia, the Protestant Reformed Churches in America, the Reformed Congregations in the Netherlands and also by some English Strict Baptists.
Plaats reactie