Fearing God's name

Plaats reactie
Canada

Fearing God's name

Bericht door Canada »

Is one a child of God if he/she sincerely "desires to fear God's name"?

Nehemiah 1:11
O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.
J.C. Philpot

Re: Fearing God's name

Bericht door J.C. Philpot »

I think it is important to have a good description of what the fear of the Lord is.

Proverbs 8:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Some time ago I heard in a sermon that there are multiple kinds of fear of the Lord, the last one being the true fear of the Lord:
- The fear of a slave: obedience because you are afraid of the judgement
- The fear of a labourer: obedience, because you want to earn something
- Childlike fear: serving God out of gratitude

Furthermore: without faith it is impossible to please God. The fear of the Lord should be a result of a living faith in Christ.

Last remark: someone who doesnt fear the Lord, also has no desire to do so. An earnestly and fervent desire is already a sign of the fear of the Lord.
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
Arja
Contacteer:

Re: Fearing God's name

Bericht door Arja »

Canada schreef:Is one a child of God if he/she sincerely "desires to fear God's name"?

Nehemiah 1:11
O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.
I thought you'd like to read this:

https://www.the-highway.com/Sibbes_A_Br ... r_God.html
Plaats reactie