Read. Seen. Heard. Bits of wisdom.

J.C. Philpot

Re: Read. Seen. Heard. Bits of wisdom.

Bericht door J.C. Philpot »

aline1984 schreef:@zeeuw: maybe. on the other side there's much precious and much to be proud on in our tradition. apart from this: Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.
Proud is not a word I would use in this context. I think gratefull is a better one.

About the "old paths": I don't think the old paths are always equal to the paths of our subculture. We should always follow the example of the Bereans, also in regard to our subculture.
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
Zeeuw

Bericht door Zeeuw »

aline1984 schreef:@zeeuw: maybe. on the other side there's much precious and much to be proud on in our tradition. apart from this: Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.
Dont understand what you trying to say with the last quote. You mean the new world keeps the old paths better than we do?
gallio

Bericht door gallio »

Zeeuw schreef:
J.C. Philpot schreef:In the past we had more people from abroad on this forum. A baptist lady from the UK, a Lutheran lady from the US. Bert Mulder from Canada seems to have returned, but he is not very active yet.

I always enjoy the presence of foreigners on this forum. They can offer a perspective on things that we overlook, because of the limited view on the World Church from our subculture.
Sure. We are doing a lot of bellybutton staring in Holland :D
Navel gazing ?????
Zeeuw

Bericht door Zeeuw »

gallio schreef:
Zeeuw schreef:
J.C. Philpot schreef:In the past we had more people from abroad on this forum. A baptist lady from the UK, a Lutheran lady from the US. Bert Mulder from Canada seems to have returned, but he is not very active yet.

I always enjoy the presence of foreigners on this forum. They can offer a perspective on things that we overlook, because of the limited view on the World Church from our subculture.
Navel gazing ?????
Thats a lot of ?. I mostly dont understand people doing that.
gallio

Bericht door gallio »

Zeeuw schreef:
gallio schreef:
Zeeuw schreef:

Navel gazing ?????
Thats a lot of ?. I mostly dont understand people doing that.
Sorry Zeeuw. I will try to control myself.
J.C. Philpot

gallio schreef:Sorry Zeeuw. I will try to control myself.
One who controls himself is stronger than one who captures a city :super
Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do of His good pleasure.

George Whitefield
Zeeuw

Bericht door Zeeuw »

J.C. Philpot schreef:
gallio schreef:Sorry Zeeuw. I will try to control myself.
One who controls himself is stronger than one who captures a city :super
Thats a truth like a cow..
helma

Bericht door helma »

J.C. Philpot

I am sure we will not agree with every part of this quote doctrinally, but when I was reading this I was asking myself: do I really believe in the God of the bible, who is a God who does wonders? Or did I put God in the box (so to speak) of my limited understanding and unbelief?
Os Hillman schreef:"The whole assembly became silent as they listened to Barnabas and Paul telling about the miraculous signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them." - Acts 15:12

"I was a pastor for 19 years before I went into business," said the man sitting across the table from me as we were sharing lunch together. What led him from being a pastor to a businessman was both a move of God and an attack from the enemy.

"I was a pastor of a particular denomination that did not embrace all of God's Word. It was a time in my life when I was experiencing many physical problems. I was on the verge of being admitted to the hospital. I had been seeking God about whether He was truly a God of healing and whether His Word was applicable in all areas of life as it was in the early Church. I was to go into the hospital the next day. That night I cried out to the Lord. I confronted God about His Word. I asked Him if He still did miracles today. Just then, I turned on my TV and saw an evangelist preaching. At that very moment, he stopped preaching, looked into the TV camera, and said these words: 'There is a man in the viewing audience who has been a pastor for many years and is struggling to know whether God heals today. His own denomination does not believe He does. [He even named his denomination.] God is healing you right now to demonstrate to you that His healing is for today, and you are to know that His Word is true for today just like it was for the early Church.' "

My friend was shocked. The TV evangelist could not have described him more accurately if he had been sitting in the same living room with him. God healed him that very night. He was not admitted to the hospital. He was forced to go before his church and witness to God's power in his life. He was soon fired as pastor of this church, and this is what led him into business.

So often when we experience God in greater and deeper ways, the persecution comes not from the world, but from those who are closest to us. The religious community persecuted Jesus. He was betrayed by one of His own disciples. However, we must realize this betrayal was necessary for God to accomplish His work through Jesus.

God will bring each of us to a crisis of faith to test what we really believe. For my friend, he had to experience God in a new way. Then he had to be tested in that belief to the point of losing his job.

Have you experienced God in all of your life? Are there areas in which you believe God does not operate today? Before you discount God, seek Him with a whole heart. You might be surprised at what you will find.

George Whitefield
helma

Bericht door helma »

Ik vind het altijd een lastig thema Philpot. Onlangs nog getuige geweest van een sterbed van een man waar het echtpaar vast geloofde dat de Heere hem zou genezen.
Ik ken weinig mensen die zich zo, op hoop tegen hoop, zich vastklampten aan Gods belofte zoals zij. Echt in verootmoediging zich overgaven aan God, klein in zichzelf maar vasthoudend aan Gods Woord en beloften.
En toch gebeurde het niet.

Sommige mensen raken er echt van in een crisis. In mijn gezin ook meegemaakt dat er gebed voor genezing was en in geloof dingen toegezegd werden en profetieën uitgesproken werden. Toen het niet gebeurde was het wellicht een zonde die in de weg stond (of haar eigen ongeloof). Het arme kind heeft zich binnenste buitengekeerd of er ergens niet nog een overgebleven zonde was die ze niet beleden had en wat in de weg stond voor haar genezing. Dit is meerdere malen gebeurd. Soms was het zo stellig uitgesproken dat ze haar medicijnen liet staan in geloof en daardoor zelfs in psychcose terecht kwam.

Ook andere schrijnende situaties (denk bijv. aan kand.van Dijke) hebben laten zien dat Gods weg zo anders kan zijn dan wij denken, hopen en geloven. Een ouderling in Veenendaal is ook zo gestorven, toch mensen vertwijfeld achtergelaten.
J.C. Philpot

I agree with you that we always have to speak with two words, Helma. When we are creating a system of this, we mis the mark. God is sovereign, and His ways are higher as our ways.

In my opinion we have to avoid two extremes: God only worked miracles in the past, and God always works miracles when we ask him with enough faith (charismatic movement).

Do you agree with me that the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two "extremes"?

George Whitefield
helma

Bericht door helma »

Ja duidelijk, zo zou ik het ook willen formuleren. Zelf ben ik een voorbeeld van genezing (postpoliosyndroom) waarover de revalidatiearts zich onlangs nog over heeft verwonderd, dus ik ben de laatste die zal zeggen dat God geen wonderen meer doet.

(Sorry, ik kan prima Engels lezen, maar daarna staat de wagen stil...)
J.C. Philpot

John Henry Newman schreef: To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living.

George Whitefield
J.C. Philpot

John Henry Newman schreef:“Without self-knowledge you have no root in yourselves personally; you may endure for a time, but under affliction or persecution your faith will not last. This is why many in this age (and in every age) become infidels, heretics, schismatics, disloyal despisers of the Church. They cast off the form of truth, because it never has been to them more than a form. They endure not, because they never have tasted that the Lord is gracious; and they never have had experience of His power and love, because they have never known their own weakness and need.”

George Whitefield
Herman

Bericht door Herman »

J.C. Philpot schreef:
John Henry Newman schreef:“Without self-knowledge you have no root in yourselves personally; you may endure for a time, but under affliction or persecution your faith will not last. This is why many in this age (and in every age) become infidels, heretics, schismatics, disloyal despisers of the Church. They cast off the form of truth, because it never has been to them more than a form. They endure not, because they never have tasted that the Lord is gracious; and they never have had experience of His power and love, because they have never known their own weakness and need.”
Jammer dat er in de derde zin Church staat en niet de naam van onze Zaligmaker.
Plaats reactie