The Christian keeping of the Lord's day is not 'Dutch'

Plaats reactie
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bert Mulder »

"I do not know what will become of this republic if we give up our Christian Sabbath. If Satan can break the conscience down on one point, he can break it down on all. When I was in France in 1867, I could not tell one day from the other. On Sunday, stores were open and buildings were erected, the same as on other days. See how quickly that country went down. One hundred years ago France and England stood abreast in the march of nations. Where do they stand today? France undertook to wipe out the Sabbath, and has pretty nearly wiped itself out, while England belts the globe.

. . . .

But someone says: "Mr. _______, what are you going to do? I have to work seven days a week or starve."

Then starve! Wouldn't it be a grand thing to have a martyr in the nineteenth century? "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church." Someone says the seed is getting very low; it has been a long time since we have had any seed. I would give something to erect a monument to such a martyr for his fidelity to God's law. I would go around the world to attend his funeral.

We want today men who will make up their minds to do what is right and stand by it if the heavens tumble on their heads. What is to become of Christian Associations and Sunday schools, of churches and Christian Endeavor societies, if the Christian Sabbath is given up to recreation and made a holiday? Hasn't the time come to call a halt if men want power with God? Let men call you narrow and bigoted, but be man enough to stand by God's law, and you will have power and blessing. That is the kind of Christianity we want just now in this country. Any man can go with the crowd, but we want men who will go against the current." D.L. Moody

Even people such as Moody valued keeping the sabbath.

And when we were on family vacation this last summer, we visited a missionary church from a hundred years ago, where George McDougall worked with the local Indians, who had such a respect for God's law that they 'did not go hunting on the Lord's day'.
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
Simon

Re: The Christian keeping of the Lord's day is not 'Dutch'

Bericht door Simon »

Bert Mulder schreef:The Christian keeping of the Lord's day is not 'Dutch'

"I do not know what will become of this republic if we give up our Christian Sabbath. If Satan can break the conscience down on one point, he can break it down on all. When I was in France in 1867, I could not tell one day from the other. On Sunday, stores were open and buildings were erected, the same as on other days. See how quickly that country went down. One hundred years ago France and England stood abreast in the march of nations. Where do they stand today? France undertook to wipe out the Sabbath, and has pretty nearly wiped itself out, while England belts the globe.

. . . .

But someone says: "Mr. _______, what are you going to do? I have to work seven days a week or starve."

Then starve! Wouldn't it be a grand thing to have a martyr in the nineteenth century? "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church." Someone says the seed is getting very low; it has been a long time since we have had any seed. I would give something to erect a monument to such a martyr for his fidelity to God's law. I would go around the world to attend his funeral.

We want today men who will make up their minds to do what is right and stand by it if the heavens tumble on their heads. What is to become of Christian Associations and Sunday schools, of churches and Christian Endeavor societies, if the Christian Sabbath is given up to recreation and made a holiday? Hasn't the time come to call a halt if men want power with God? Let men call you narrow and bigoted, but be man enough to stand by God's law, and you will have power and blessing. That is the kind of Christianity we want just now in this country. Any man can go with the crowd, but we want men who will go against the current." D.L. Moody

Even people such as Moody valued keeping the sabbath.

And when we were on family vacation this last summer, we visited a missionary church from a hundred years ago, where George McDougall worked with the local Indians, who had such a respect for God's law that they 'did not go hunting on the Lord's day'.

Obeying God's commandments does NOT result in ''belting the world'' or a ''golden century''.
Just like Constantine claimed to have dreamed: ''in this sign you will acquire victory.''
Christ is not an army general , the church wasn't promised a victory over the world, but suffering, persecution and hatred.
Keeping a ''christian sabbath'' does not get anyone closer to being saved, also, a true christian does not rule over someone else's faith.
A compulsary belief is not a belief, either.
“Wij prediken tot mensen alsof zij zich ervan bewust zijn stervende zondaars te zijn; dat zijn zij niet; zij hebben een goede tijd, en ons spreken over wedergeboren worden ligt op een domein waarvan zij niets weten. De natuurlijke mens wil niet wedergeboren worden”.
- Oswald Chambers -
Plaats reactie